Re: [TR] O/D safety switch

Subject: Re: [TR] O/D safety switch
From: "Randall" <TR3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2014 15:42:51 -0700
Cc: "'Triumphs'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
> this allows only using O/D in 4th
> gear.. better than nothing I guess..

Just a SWAG, but the GT6 used the D-type OD which was marginal even behind the
much smaller Spitfire motor.  My _guess_ is that they
limited it to 4th gear because the OD could not handle the engine torque
multiplied by the 3rd gear ratio.

I don't know how the ratios work out on the GT6, but on the TR2-6, 3rd OD is so
close to 4th direct that it's almost not a separate
gear.  That's not to say 3rd OD is totally useless, but it's also not a big
loss, IMO.

Randall

** triumphs@autox.team.net **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive