Re: [TR] Stag Stuck in Gear!

To: Randall <TR3driver@ca.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [TR] Stag Stuck in Gear!
From: "Lee&John Howard" <leejohn7@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2016 11:15:58 -0700
Cc: triumph list list <triumphs@autox.team.net>

--001a1147fa52ced8c6053c8fd8e8

Thank you Randall, Bob and Bill.

With help from my English "advisors" at the  Stag Owners Club, I worked
from inside t he car, rremoving the console materials that enclose the gear
shifter, and then lifted out the shifter. The gear selector rods were
jammed in mid-position, and it was a simple matter to realign them in
neutral. I then replaced the shifter and its retainer, and shifted easily
throught he gears. Started her up and everything back to normal.

So all is well for the moment. Next question is how to prevent it happening
again. The suspicion is that everything down there is worn, but I',m not
about to remove the whole d--n engine and tranny again to replace the
shifter rods. Maybe a better gear stick would help.

The beats goes on.  Still awaiting that multi-hour comfy ride with my honey.

John

On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 7:55 PM, Randall <TR3driver@ca.rr.com> wrote:

> > The Stag is in the paint shop for the finishing touches, and while moving
> > the car about the shifter jammed up somewhere between reverse and
> neutral.
> > The clutch seems operative because when depressed the car will roll. Any
> > ideas as to how to pop the tranny into neutral? The old-timee shop owner
> > suggests starting the car then pushing it hard and releasing the clutch.
> > Or, perhaps the clutch needs just a little more throw, with adjustment at
> > the lever?
>
> I must be missing something.  If the clutch works, why do you think it is a
> clutch problem?
>
> I would check the nut on the side, someone may have loosened it thinking it
> was the fill plug or something (it actually retains part of the reverse
> shift mechanism).  If so, there is a slim chance that tightening it back up
> will pull the lever into place and let you shift out of reverse.
>
> Otherwise, I think it best to disconnect the driveshaft until you can
> rescue
> it from the paint shop on a flatbed.  The "pop the clutch" idea sounds like
> a great way to make a bad situation worse!
>
> My sympathies, as IMO pulling the transmission on a Stag is a miserable
> job.
> That's partly why mine has been on jackstands since 2008!
>
> Randall

--001a1147fa52ced8c6053c8fd8e8

r></div>With help from my English &quot;advisors&quot; at the=C2=A0 Stag Ow=
ners Club, I worked from inside t he car, rremoving the console materials t=
hat enclose the gear shifter, and then lifted out the shifter. The gear sel=
ector rods were jammed in mid-position, and it was a simple matter to reali=
gn them in neutral. I then replaced the shifter and its retainer, and shift=
ed easily throught he gears. Started her up and everything back to normal.<=
br><br></div>So all is well for the moment. Next question is how to prevent=
 it happening again. The suspicion is that everything down there is worn, b=
ut I&#39;,m not about to remove the whole d--n engine and tranny again to r=
eplace the shifter rods. Maybe a better gear stick would help. <br><br></di=
v>The beats goes on.=C2=A0 Still awaiting that multi-hour comfy ride with m=
ss=3D"gmail_quote">On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 7:55 PM, Randall <span dir=3D"lt=
r">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:TR3driver@ca.rr.com"; target=3D"_blank">TR3driver@c=
=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><span cl=
ass=3D"">&gt; The Stag is in the paint shop for the finishing touches, and =
while moving<br>
&gt; the car about the shifter jammed up somewhere between reverse and neut=
ral.<br>
&gt; The clutch seems operative because when depressed the car will roll. A=
ny<br>
&gt; ideas as to how to pop the tranny into neutral? The old-timee shop own=
er<br>
&gt; suggests starting the car then pushing it hard and releasing the clutc=
h.<br>
&gt; Or, perhaps the clutch needs just a little more throw, with adjustment=
 at<br>
&gt; the lever?<br>
hink it is a<br>
clutch problem?<br>
I would check the nut on the side, someone may have loosened it thinking it=
was the fill plug or something (it actually retains part of the reverse<br>
shift mechanism).=C2=A0 If so, there is a slim chance that tightening it ba=
ck up<br>
will pull the lever into place and let you shift out of reverse.<br>
Otherwise, I think it best to disconnect the driveshaft until you can rescu=
e<br>
it from the paint shop on a flatbed.=C2=A0 The &quot;pop the clutch&quot; i=
dea sounds like<br>
a great way to make a bad situation worse!<br>
My sympathies, as IMO pulling the transmission on a Stag is a miserable job=
.<br>
That&#39;s partly why mine has been on jackstands since 2008!<br>
Randall<br>

--001a1147fa52ced8c6053c8fd8e8--

--===============3499842449049052167==

** triumphs@autox.team.net **