[TR] rear oil seal conversion

Subject: [TR] rear oil seal conversion
From: auprichard at uprichard.net (auprichard at uprichard.net)
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2018 14:45:55 -0700
List:  what is the general consensus about replacing rear oil seal conversions?

I have a smallmouth TR3 which is pulling well way past the 5500 rpm mark, so
rather than risk a failure of a 60 year-old cast iron connecting rod, I think I
will pull the engine and install steel rods.  I had thought about a steel
crank, but the 4-cylinder engines have a remarkably robust crank (and money
does become an option).  The car has many upgrades, and I really should have
gone with steel rods originally.

Anyway, the engine has the Moss rear oil seal conversion (with the machined
crank).  Should the seal be replaced as a matter of routine?  The engine only
has about 2000 miles on it.

Andrew Uprichard
Jackson, Michigan