[TR] gifts of Triumph or anything else

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] gifts of Triumph or anything else
From: "Fisher, Ed" <edwd@ti.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2018 21:34:20 +0000
Accept-language: en-US

--_000_0743d8ad876040ed91c889b10a6caf8aticom_

I've read many articles regarding the next generations and their debt after=
 leaving college, wanting to retire earlier, disdain for sitting in traffic=
, leaving smaller footprints on the planet with tiny houses and such, not h=
aving heirlooms or anything of such to drag around as they move, search for=
 work, transition through different parts of their lives.  While living in =
a tiny house does not appeal to me I can see the benefits of them.  Less po=
llution, less mortgage, less land required, some even being mobile.  While =
I enjoy driving, mostly because I learned it on open roads in the 1960's, i=
t doesn't have the same romance when sitting in traffic here in Dallas wher=
e one has to drive quite a ways to get to open roads.  While I appreciate t=
he few antiques that I've gathered over the years they do take a lot of spa=
ce, and I will have to find something to do with them before I pass away.  =
In that respect they are a small burden I guess.

According to business magazines, the resale shops, consignment shops, antiq=
ue stores and such are not doing well because there is a generation that do=
es not want all of that stuff.  It makes sense really, as they grew up with=
 everyday things that were cheap, semi-disposable, and no love lost when di=
scarded.  I grew up poor revering and respecting the things that were hard-=
fought and gathered by immigrant grandparents.  A broken dish was a big dea=
l as there weren't ready replacements.  I'm ever so grateful to have been g=
iven the gift of early poverty.  That said, our cars polluted the air, our =
factories fouled the rivers (where I grew up the Cuyahoga actually caught o=
n fire), and our wastes have been piling up on this planet with our excesse=
s.  No shaming, no blaming, no political content, just a viewpoint, and one=
 shared by a younger generation that wants to do things differently.  Good =
for them I say, and when it all comes down to it my stuff is just 'stuff'. =
 My son grew up earning his own nickels and dimes, learning how to manage h=
is own money, and how to pay for and repair (even paint) his own ride.  We =
shared those moments and as such they were important to at least me, althou=
gh he did tell me as an adult that now he understood why I held firm on tho=
se many fronts.  That was all I could ever hope for when he thought me a ha=
rd-ass through his teenage years.  Now he lives in a high-rise apartment in=
 Miami with his wonderful wife and has explained why he won't be buying a h=
ouse in that locale.  I get it.  There is a 1965 Mustang that I restored ye=
ars ago and he knows it is awaiting him when he does buy a house, if ever. =
 If not, we can agree to give it to a charity and perhaps it can do some go=
od that way.  He's a giving kid.

We aren't missing anything wondering where our stuff will go.  It doesn't h=
ave the same 'meaningfulness' to them as it did to us.  I've got a half-doz=
en other cars that will need to go (did I mention my personal excesses?) an=
d I hope to gift them to good causes that can use the cash, or, to teach so=
me youngsters the art of repair as I did out of my garage.  I won't need th=
em in time, my son won't want them, understandably so, and therefore since =
I don't want to be buried in them, or buried period, they can go to good ho=
me(s)/organizations.  I've had my fun with them, and have been blessed to o=
wn them, and have memorable times with all of it, and so it goes.  Oh, and =
in case you are thinking that any of this has or will be easy on me I would=
 tell of the times that my wife has finally refused to hang up a pair of my=
 drawers on the clothesline because of the rips/tears.  Sometimes I will go=
 out and rescue them for a few more rounds, other times I will tell her I a=
m going to throw them in the trash and I'll ask if she wants to say a few w=
ords over the ceremony.  She rolls her eyes, I chuckle, but it is only part=
ly in jest.  Growing up with nothing will do that to ya.

Ed

Dallas, Tx

--_000_0743d8ad876040ed91c889b10a6caf8aticom_

osoft-com:office:office" xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml"; xmlns=3D"http:=
//www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40">
<head>

/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
        {font-family:Calibri;
        panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
        {margin:0in;
        margin-bottom:.0001pt;
        font-size:11.0pt;
        font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
        {mso-style-priority:99;
        color:blue;
        text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
        {mso-style-priority:99;
        color:purple;
        text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
        {mso-style-type:personal-compose;
        font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
        color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
        {mso-style-type:export-only;
        font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
@page WordSection1
        {size:8.5in 11.0in;
        margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
        {page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->
</head>
erations and their debt after leaving college, wanting to retire earlier, d=
isdain for sitting in traffic, leaving smaller footprints on the planet wit=
h tiny houses and such, not having heirlooms
 or anything of such to drag around as they move, search for work, transiti=
on through different parts of their lives.&nbsp; While living in a tiny hou=
se does not appeal to me I can see the benefits of them.&nbsp; Less polluti=
on, less mortgage, less land required, some
 even being mobile.&nbsp; While I enjoy driving, mostly because I learned i=
t on open roads in the 1960&#8217;s, it doesn&#8217;t have the same romance=
 when sitting in traffic here in Dallas where one has to drive quite a ways=
 to get to open roads.&nbsp; While I appreciate the few
 antiques that I&#8217;ve gathered over the years they do take a lot of spa=
ce, and I will have to find something to do with them before I pass away.&n=
bsp; In that respect they are a small burden I guess.&nbsp;
<o:p></o:p></p>
onsignment shops, antique stores and such are not doing well because there =
is a generation that does not want all of that stuff.&nbsp; It makes sense =
really, as they grew up with everyday things
 that were cheap, semi-disposable, and no love lost when discarded.&nbsp; I=
 grew up poor revering and respecting the things that were hard-fought and =
gathered by immigrant grandparents.&nbsp; A broken dish was a big deal as t=
here weren&#8217;t ready replacements.&nbsp; I&#8217;m ever
 so grateful to have been given the gift of early poverty.&nbsp; That said,=
 our cars polluted the air, our factories fouled the rivers (where I grew u=
p the Cuyahoga actually caught on fire), and our wastes have been piling up=
 on this planet with our excesses.&nbsp; No
 shaming, no blaming, no political content, just a viewpoint, and one share=
d by a younger generation that wants to do things differently.&nbsp; Good f=
or them I say, and when it all comes down to it my stuff is just &#8216;stu=
ff&#8217;.&nbsp; My son grew up earning his own nickels
 and dimes, learning how to manage his own money, and how to pay for and re=
pair (even paint) his own ride.&nbsp; We shared those moments and as such t=
hey were important to at least me, although he did tell me as an adult that=
 now he understood why I held firm on
 those many fronts. &nbsp;That was all I could ever hope for when he though=
t me a hard-ass through his teenage years.&nbsp; Now he lives in a high-ris=
e apartment in Miami with his wonderful wife and has explained why he won&#=
8217;t be buying a house in that locale.&nbsp; I get
 it.&nbsp; There is a 1965 Mustang that I restored years ago and he knows i=
t is awaiting him when he does buy a house, if ever.&nbsp; If not, we can a=
gree to give it to a charity and perhaps it can do some good that way.&nbsp=
; He&#8217;s a giving kid.<o:p></o:p></p>
 stuff will go.&nbsp; It doesn&#8217;t have the same &#8216;meaningfulness&=
#8217; to them as it did to us.&nbsp; I&#8217;ve got a half-dozen other car=
s that will need to go (did I mention my personal excesses?) and I hope to
 gift them to good causes that can use the cash, or, to teach some youngste=
rs the art of repair as I did out of my garage.&nbsp; I won&#8217;t need th=
em in time, my son won&#8217;t want them, understandably so, and therefore =
since I don&#8217;t want to be buried in them, or buried
 period, they can go to good home(s)/organizations.&nbsp; I&#8217;ve had my=
 fun with them, and have been blessed to own them, and have memorable times=
 with all of it, and so it goes.&nbsp; Oh, and in case you are thinking tha=
t any of this has or will be easy on me I would
 tell of the times that my wife has finally refused to hang up a pair of my=
 drawers on the clothesline because of the rips/tears.&nbsp; Sometimes I wi=
ll go out and rescue them for a few more rounds, other times I will tell he=
r I am going to throw them in the trash
 and I&#8217;ll ask if she wants to say a few words over the ceremony.&nbsp=
; She rolls her eyes, I chuckle, but it is only partly in jest.&nbsp; Growi=
ng up with nothing will do that to ya.<o:p></o:p></p>

--_000_0743d8ad876040ed91c889b10a6caf8aticom_--

--===============0099688217604355435==

** triumphs@autox.team.net **

--===============0099688217604355435==--