Re: [TR] Electrical Gremlin

To: "'TERRY SMITH'" <terryrs@comcast.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Electrical Gremlin
From: "Randall" <TR3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2019 08:38:44 -0700
So, don't assume it's a single problem.  Focus on one symptom and run it to
ground as far as you can.  Then if something else stops you (like a no-crank
condition), go chase that.

One tactic I've found useful is to connect your meter or test light using a
long cord, so you can bring the meter out where you can see it from the
driver's seat.  Years ago, I went as far as making up a test harness from
about 20' of lamp cord, with alligator clips on one end and pin jacks (to
accept the meter leads) on the other end.  At one point, I drove several
weeks with it connected to the OD relay and the meter on the seat beside me,
so I could turn it on and check relay function any time it acted up. (Turned
out the relay itself was intermittent.)

When the starter just makes a clunk, check how much power is getting to the
starter motor.  If it's getting juice but won't crank the engine, chances
are the motor itself has a problem.  Use the rubber button on the starter
solenoid, as that bypasses all of the wiring harness, dash switches, etc.
Check that the engine can be turned (eg put the gearbox in 4th and push the
car forward enough to see the fan move).  The two most common problems here,
in my experience, are bad connections at the battery posts, and a bad
connection where the battery ground strap joins the body.  Also make sure
the ground strap at the LH motor mount is in place and has good,
metal-to-metal contact at both ends.  (Paint doesn't conduct worth a darn.)

While I dislike throwing parts at problems; those funky "helmet" battery
cables look troublesome to me.  If you have those, you might consider
temporarily replacing the battery cables with ones that have more modern
clamps molded onto them.  Once everything else is sorted, you can go back to
the helmets if you want, with a high confidence that if the problems come
back, the helmets are the problem.

With the clamps, use a wire brush to clean both the posts and the clamps
just before you put them together.  Just like copper wire, you want the
surfaces bright and shiny when you join them together.  I use a battery
terminal spray like
https://www.amazon.com/CRC-05046-Battery-Terminal-Protector/dp/B000CIPUNC
But again, silicone grease or Vaseline will work better than nothing.

-- Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L once and future daily driver
71 Stag LE1473 - awaiting engine rebuild
71-2-3 Stag - awaiting gearbox rebuild

** triumphs@autox.team.net **