Re: [TR] Troubleshooting TR3A fuel gauge

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Troubleshooting TR3A fuel gauge
From: "Randall" <TR3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2019 08:49:52 -0700
> I'm not clear on what you mean about "going point to point
> along the conductor instead of each point to ground".

If the voltage from point A to ground is 10 volts, and the voltage from
point B to ground is 12 volts; then if you connect your voltmeter from point
A to point B, you should read 2 volts.  Makes it easier to see small
differences; as well as removing any uncertainty about the battery voltage
(or voltage drop at some other point) changing between measurements.

I'm sure there is some minimum voltage for the fuel gauge, but I don't know
what it is.  I'm guessing it's well below 10 volts, though.

The thing is, though, each one of those bad connections is going to generate
heat; which accelerates the degradation of the connection.

The Pertronix also doesn't like low voltage, it won't work at all if it
doesn't get at least 8 volts or so.  Since the starter motor will still turn
the engine (slowly) on less than 8 volts, this leads to an interesting
situation where the Pertronix flat doesn't work, only when you are trying to
start the engine.  That's the main reason I threw mine back in the box.

-- Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L once and future daily driver
71 Stag LE1473 - awaiting engine rebuild
71-2-3 Stag - awaiting gearbox rebuild

** triumphs@autox.team.net **