Re: steel wheel reinforcement

To: emanteno@ix.netcom.com (Irv Korey)
Subject: Re: steel wheel reinforcement
From: zwickey@arn.net (Earl W. Zwickey)
Date: Wed, 1 May 1996 21:21:55 -0500 (CDT)
Irv,

I don't have any recommendations on reinforcing the wheels, but do want to
let you know that there is a potential problem with stock steel wheels.
Many years prior to vintage racing in Formula Ford, I had a GT-6 Mk. III
which I autocrossed.  At one point in my efforts to go faster, I did an
engine swap (3.5 liter aluminum Olds V-8 engine) and had the stock wheels
widened to ten inches.  I realize that that is a huge increase, and with
racing slicks resulted in much higher loadings, but ultimately I discovered
cracking  in the web between lug holes.  Fortunately I never had one fail in
service--I just found it in a routine inspection.

This type of failure is from fatigue.  While you will not have comparable
forces on your wheels, the tires you use will likely have more stick than
normal street tires, and you will have many more cycles on the wheels than
my relatively few laps in autocrossing.  The analogy of bending a paper clip
is very good--you can bend through a big motion a few times before it will
crack, or bend it through a smaller motion many more times before it will
crack.  However, utlimately fatigue will take its toll and cracking will result.

So if there is a way to reinforce them, it would probably be a good idea.
If you don't, keep a close eye on them!

Good luck,
Earl