[Fwd: making old cars faster]

To: vintage race list <vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: [Fwd: making old cars faster]
From: "Wm. Severin Thompson" <wsthompson@thicko.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 1997 16:50:16 -0600
--------------4F00B2FB27CD7D983355564B

Date: Mon, 01 Dec 1997 16:38:44 -0600
From: "Wm. Severin Thompson" <wsthompson@thicko.com>
To: The Vulture <vulture@gol.com>
CC: S800Racer@aol.com
Subject: Re: making old cars faster

Dear Mr. Vulture,

There seems to be some confusion concerning the difference in lap times
of my time capsule car and my current MKII 948. Those of you that have
witnessed the "Red Rat Bastard" in the flesh can attest to it's
low-tech, bargain basement, cobbled together from worn out parts
condition. I stand by my statement that it's the most legal 948 running
around these parts. In fact, I have a standing agreement with my TT
partners that if they can find that I'm cheating, they can by the car
for a buck ($1). Now of course, that may be a bit over market value, but
a guy's got to make a profit.

Concerning it's deviation from say 1962 specs.... Hoosiers, Hawk pads.

Other than that, 12.7:1 CR, flat top stock pistons & rods, nitrided
crank, stock rockers, Elgin cam, SUs, stock ribcase trans (not even
straight cut). The only concession to convenience is the rear main seal
kit that is now available. Other than the Hoosiers and Hawks, its very
period spec.

I may drive it harder because it's worth a lot less than my time capsule
Stage V Donald Healey Motor Co. Bugeye, but its certainly no techno
steroid rocket.

As far as "team tactics" coming in to the equation... Doug, you've got
it all wrong. Usually, it's my team mate brethren conspiring against me.

Can I have an Amen?

Also, Doug, you may not remember, or I may not be recalling correctly,
but weren't you at Summit Point a couple years ago when we were there? I
seem to remember talking to a Honda guy... I mentioned my first lap
practise time, new to the track and all, and I think I was a few 10ths
off of "your" class record (1D SVRA)? Does this ring a bell?

Boing.

WST
Team Thicko "Rub this, Doug"
(Don't ya just love a little contoversial winter time bench racing?)