Re: Production Parts vs Homologated Parts

To: vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Production Parts vs Homologated Parts
From: Jari Tabell <Jari.Tabell@pp.inet.fi>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 1998 17:30:03 -0700
Nathaniel J. Leon wrote:

> Marc:
>
> >>What are homologated parts?  Are these parts which were  meant
> >>for production cars or racing versions?
>
> As I understand it homologated parts were special production parts. To be
> homologated a certain number of new fresh off the assembly line cars had to be
> made before a car could be homologated or allowed to race in class. Proudction
> requirements were usually numbered between 50 and 200 cars depending on class.

Here in Europe it is required that all cars raced in FIA events must
have a "FIA identity form" (with pictures of the car, official stamps
etc.) which describes the specification of the car. Main part of this
form consists of a copy of the original homologation sheet from the
period. In this sheet there is listed the basic specification of the car
and also all alternative parts. Basically if the specification differs
from the homologation sheet, the car is judged illegal, even if it was
originally raced as it is (this means that it was illegal even then...).

Of course all modifications according to FIA appendix K are allowed
regardless of the homologations.

I recommend that you require that the owners of these modified cars must
show a copy of the original homologation sheet from period to show that
the modifications are homologated. Then you don't have to worry about
production numbers, proofs, etc...

Best Regards
Jari Tabell, Finland
http://personal.inet.fi/koti/jtabell

PS. My Spitfire is modified according to FIA homologation sheet 165,
which specifies 8-port head and twin Weber DCOEs in the basic
specification. This means that according to this sheet it is not allowed
to race with the original 6-port head and SUs! So what's original and
what's not...? ;^)