Re: vintage racing and aluminum interiors

To: MHKitchen@aol.com, brian@uunet.ca
Subject: Re: vintage racing and aluminum interiors
From: DWhitesdJr@aol.com
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 18:17:42 EDT
In a message dated 6/29/98 3:50:52 PM Central Daylight Time, MHKitchen@aol.com
writes:

<< I'd certainly agree that a fully stripped interior is safer from a fire
safety
 point of view.   But it also violates the spirit of preparation of many
 sanctioning groups.  >>
It always amazes me to see how many performance enhancing "tricks" are done in
the interests of "safety" but never is the reverse true.

For example, true magnesium wheels are a much greater fire hazard than
aluminum wheels, but I have NEVER heard anyone switch from mag to aluminum for
purposes of the increased fire safety that aluminum offers (they might switch
for reasons of cost perhaps, but never safety).  Why aren't people as
enthusiastic about safety improvements when it hurts performance?

With onboard fire systems, fuel cells and cutoff switches, is a period
authentic interior really that much of a fire hazard and thus "dangerous?"
How many fires have we had in vintage racing anyway?  Our objective should be
to preserve the old race cars and the replicate the spirit and appearance of
the era.