Visalia Vintage Auto Festival

To: vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Visalia Vintage Auto Festival
From: "Christopher H. Kang, MD" <chkangmd@qnis.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 1998 23:42:29 -0700
For those of you who were curious about this event, held last weekend
here's a short report:

This was the first (and hoped for future) gathering of generally early
1900 type racing cars to celebrate the auto races held in
Visalia,California (south of Fresno, north of Bakersfield; for those
from Iowa, that's inland about 100 miles inland from the ocean in the
middle of the state). This was basically an exhibition for the cars. The
format was grouped runs around the track "at speed" which ran through/on
the park road.  I'd call it 1/3 Vintage race cars and 3/4 concurs,hot
rods,club gathering, and even a few low riders. I think it was a good
presentation to the general public what Vintage racing is and the cars
involved.

What was there: a former Peugot Indy car, a Stuz, Mercedes were the
"well knowns" early 1900's. I was impressed with the speed these could
carry around the short "exhibition,no racing track". Also a non runnig
National and a couple others I'd never heard of and the name didn't
stick.

Add some model T racers, a few offy sprint cars, a front engined (ie
vintage) Top Fuel dragster(which they fired up just for the noise and
smoke), a Lola Can-Am, some of Shelby's Shelbys/Cobras, a couple of Loti
(elite,FF), and a few quarter midgets. Ecclectic, but nice to look at
and a pleasant way to spend the 4th of July.

Of interest to other state resident was the "Official" celebration of
SB42 which exempted pre'74 cars from smog checks. It was mentioned that
the basic Bill was being used as a pattern for other states to enact
similar exemption laws-you can still hope.

christopher