Re: Fuel Safe Pro Cell in MGB

To: schonny@idt.net
Subject: Re: Fuel Safe Pro Cell in MGB
From: RodsINTOMG@aol.com
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 1998 15:56:49 EDT

<<
 Hi Rod, I don't have any help for you as I have a 67 B  that I am getting
ready
 to vintage race, myself but I would like to ask you some questions.  What
kind of
 windshield do you run, if any?  What kind of roll cage, did you build it or
buy
 it already done?  Any engine mods?  I am kind of new at this and will
certainly
 appreciate it if you are able to answer any of these questions.  Are you
putting
 in a fuel cell because your original tank is bad or what?
 Cheers
 Schonny >>

Schonny,

Here are some answers to your questions:  I run the stock windshield because I
also run a factory MGB fiberglass hardtop.  The car is a LeMans/Sebring look
alile... red body with white top, valance and 2' white circles on the doors,
bonnet and boot lid.  I am using the rollbar that came with the car (not SCCA
approved) because it was the only type that I can use with the hardtop.  I did
modify the bar some.  I welded in a diagonal strut, a head rest and a chrome
moly tube brace that runs from the center of the bar to the floor in the
passenger footwell.  This brace is removal ( two 1/2" grade eight bolts.  I
suspect the tube brace stiffens up the car a little and it looks sooooo cool.
Everything on the bar is padded of course for safety and that makes it look
huskyer (sp) too.

The engine is the one that came with the car: Three main 1800 MGB.  My plan
was to use this engine one year and then build a new pumped up 5 main and keep
this one for a spare.  (Spare engine and gearbox is a good idea incase you
lunch your mill in the middle of the season and don't have time to repair it.)
Well, I had to put a new crankshaft in the 3 main in the middle of the first
race season so am using it again for the 2nd.  Next year: new pumped 5 main.
The three main has a Webber side draft and a header and a street cam.  I built
a close ratio gearbox using MGA close raito gears that I found at a swap meet
for $80.  The close ratio really lets me stay in the engine's torque band
which is 5000 to 6000 RPMs.  I run a 4.30 rear end (also MGA) and Comp TA
185/60 R1 racing tires on knock off Minilites.  The car is not terribily fast,
but I'm learning alot and I'm watching my lap times fall.

This is a very presentable MGB but is a real low buck racing project.  I got
the car for free, it was a real basket case and found most of what I needed at
the swap meets.  The plan was to get the car on the track and see how I liked
vintage racing.  Well I found that vintage racing (at least with my group,
CSRG) really fulfill a need in my life and I want to stay with it.  This year
I upgraded to a more expensive (and safer) closed face helmet, and am going to
install a fuel cell and inbuilt fire system in the interests of safety.  This
winter I'll build a new 5 main engine and I plan to take a driving class at
Russell Racing at Sears Point next spring.  If you are interested, I could
tell you what I did to the suspension and brakes.

Feeling long winded today,

Rod Schwieger
So. San Francisco