Re: Sprite question

To: Zeke5550@aol.com
Subject: Re: Sprite question
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 09:03:13 -0400
What compression, cam, carb, etc, are you running?  Did the car continue to
run ok, or did it keep re-ocurring?  What jets do you have in, if weber?
What timing do you have on at maximum advance?  Is the car running hot, or cold?

My initial take is that you're possibly running too rich, or too little
advance, for the low speed running that you'd get in a drivers school
situation.  I'm assuming here that you haven't had the engine dyno'd, and
that you've looked at the plugs  and they don't show a dramatic lean
condition.  Also, I'd be running 2.5 - 3 lbs fuel pressure at least ( I
personally run a 5 Lb fuel pump for twin webers, and always ran at least 3.5
Lbs on one weber).  I've seen fuel pressure regulators fail so that they
starve the engine on high demand situations, also.

Brian

At 12:56 AM 4/27/99 -0400, you wrote:
>I am looking for some help getting my 948 cc Bugeye running right.  At the
>recent NSSCC drivers school, I had the car run poorly for about a half a lap
>or so after pushing the car to 7000 rpm on the front straightaway.   The
>problem was not strictly rpm related because the car did not miss at the high
>rpm but after getting the r's up it started to miss and continued to do so
>for about a minute.  Then the problem went away! and the car ran great again.
>

>I am running a MSD ignition with points.  I thought it might be gas pressure
>but raising the fuel pressure from 1 lb to 2 did not help.  I also checked
>the float levels, cleaned the bowls and replaced the fuel filter.  Timing is
>good at 2000 and 4000 rpm.
>
>I'm looking for potential causes.  Any ideas?

Brian Evans
Director, Global Sales
UUNET, An MCI WorldCom Company