RE: beginners tech question

To: "Gavin Ivory" <G_Ivory@beutel-can.com>,
Subject: RE: beginners tech question
From: "Greg Burrowes" <gregb@datafast.com.au>
Date: Sun, 9 May 1999 15:56:01 +1000
Gavin,
Run bigger rear wheel cylinders to increase the applied pressure (bigger
piston area generates more pressure) to the rear brake shoes and then use an
adjustable pressure limiter to prevent rear wheel lock up.

Our rules in Australia do not allow pressure limiters that can be adjusted
from the driving position.  We achieve the desired result by experimenting
with wheel cylinder size.  It's cheaper and just as effective.  Wheel
cylinders are very cheap.

I just completed running Targa Tasmania in our race car and the brakes
worked fine even on the damp Targa stages.  No scary rear wheel lock ups on
slippery mountain roads and we are running 7/8" cylinders instead of the
original 9/16".

Greg Burrowes
GM Holden Torana XU1 #50
Historic Touring Cars Australia