Re: copper head gaskets

To: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Subject: Re: copper head gaskets
From: Derek Harling <derek.lola@sympatico.ca>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 09:38:14 -0400
Brian Evans wrote:

> Anybody have actual experience using solid copper head gaskets?  I'm
> thinking of making a head gasket from .065" copper sheet to use in a Ford
> race engine, to get the compression down to about 12:1
>
> Any thoughts?  An alternative is to use two normal head gaskets, which I've
> done before but was nervous about.  I've heard that Triumphs use copper
> head gaskets sometimes, and that they can be reused.
>
> Brian
> Brian Evans
> Director, Global Sales
> UUNET, An MCI WorldCom Company

Brian

I inquired about solid copper head gaskets to reduce the cost factor for
my Cosworth BDD. Real Cosworth stuff is even more expensive now that
Ford has bought them. However I'm told that "they don't work too well"
with racing c/r unless you also use a "wire ring in groove" around each
cylinder - and that of course is even more expensive than using the
Cosworth gasket.

However there are probably other opinions.

Derek