Re: HMSA, pump rattling

To: EeeMCee@cs.com
Subject: Re: HMSA, pump rattling
From: "Mark Palmer" <mgvrmark@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2000 19:48:58 GMT
Michael,

I have also been intrigued by these devices, but have never seen one.

The device you describe would not give accurate readings, unless the intake
& exhaust valves were disabled.  Otherwise, valve timing would affect the
measurement & render the results useless.  Do you recall if the vales were
disabled during the test?

Perhaps this is why OHC engines require a different tester?  On a pushrod
engine, I suppose the valves might be conveniently disabled by backing off
the adjusters, removing rocker arms, or removing pushrods.  But not so on an
OHC.

Comments?

Regards,
Mark Palmer