Wire Wheels

To: "Vintage list" <vintage-race@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Wire Wheels
From: "Carl McLelland" <carlmcle@saturnnet.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 00:08:27 -0700
After Saturday's race at Thunder Hill with my series 1 Sunbeam Alpine
(equipped with wire wheels and knockoff hubs), I inspected things and saw
that the safety wire on the left front wheel was loose (not stretched
tight). I whacked the knockoff with my lead hammer and yes, it was as tight
as it would go. I retied the safety wire, and after Sunday's race saw that
it was again loose. I've checked the following:

1. The knockoff hub on the left front is a right hand thread. The safety
wire was tied in such a manner that it would be stretched tighter or break
if the knockoff were loosening.

2. The safety wire was checked and double checked to assure that it was tied
correctly (this is my first car with knockoff's and I'm still paranoid about
loosing a wheel from the knockoff coming off).

3. The wheels are new painted competition 60 spoke Dayton's from British
Wire Wheel (4 1/2 X 13). The hubs were removed from the car and degreased,
and inspected with a magnifying glass for excessive wear as illustrated in
the British Wire Wheel pamphlet before re-installation on the car.

4. The tires are Yokahama 032R's, and don't show abnormal wear after two
race weekends.

5. The knockoff's are also new.

6. I was extremily liberal with the grease on the hubs, wheels and
knockoffs.

I could understand a rear wheel axle spinning on a worn hub which (on the
left rear) would give an indication of the knockoff tightening, but WHY the
left front?!? I'm all ears guys (and gals). What is happening here?

Carl