Re: Wire Wheels

To: carlmcle@saturnnet.com
Subject: Re: Wire Wheels
From: RodsINTOMG@aol.com
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 05:45:33 EDT

<<
 I could understand a rear wheel axle spinning on a worn hub which (on the
 left rear) would give an indication of the knockoff tightening, but WHY the
 left front?!? I'm all ears guys (and gals). What is happening here?

 Carl

Carl,

We met at Thunder Hill this last weekend, you complemented me on my red and
white MGB.  In answer to your knock off question (I too have knock offs on my
car): The knock offs and hubs on the right side of the car are left hand
threads and the hubs and knock offs on the left side are left hand threads.
This is so for a purpose.  So that in the forward direction of the car the
knock offs stay tight.  Under heavy braking as in racing, the knock offs tend
to keep tightening.  After a big race weekend, I sometime have one hell of a
time getting my knock offs loose, takes a very large lead hammer and lots of
hits.  I have also had to use heat from a propane torch to loosen a tight
knock off until I got a better hammer.

I think that your safety wire got loose because your knock off just tightened
up more, no doubt due to braking.  Don't worry about the knock offs coming
off unless you put them on the wrong side of the car, or tow the car
backwards.

Regards,

Rod Schweiger
'64 MGB #119