Vintage Datsuns

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Vintage Datsuns
From: Clark Smith <clark@dnf.com>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 16:01:40 -0700
Paul Kort wrote:

>  Okay, so I don't race, ... yet.  I do turn a wrench on a couple of Datsun
>1600s that run SCCA GP, driven by the father - daughter team of Jim and
>Cathy Sloan.  I know it isn't vintage racing but running any thirty year old
>car is fun.
>  I drive a 1969 Datsun 1600 and as a member of the Ohio Roadster Owners
>Club, I hope to see more than just a few roadsters, 510s and Z's at MidOhio
>in June for the Vintage GP.  No doubt we will have over 30 vintage Datsuns
>on the show grounds Sunday.  We are sharing a corral with ZCCO and ZACO, the
>two Z clubs here in Ohio.  Stop by if you have a chance.  I hope to get to
>the track on Friday to spend some time wandering the paddocks.  Saturday and
>Sunday will be filled with club activities and lots of good racing!  See ya
>there.
>
>Regards,
>Paul Kort

I'm driving the Datsun truck I bought new when I was in high school (1977).
It looks pretty shabby as the orginal lacquor is pretty much blowing off as
I drive.  I'm frightend to ask, but I just have to know....  when will this
truck be considered vintage?  God I'm feeling old.

Second question (for extra credit):  has anyone ever seen a Datsun truck
exhibited at a concours?  Do I have a restoration candidiate?

I'm laughing out loud because I've received two letters from the state
(California) asking me to crush the truck rather than re-register it this
coming August.

Its been absolutely bullet proof and doubles in value everytime I fill the
tank with our monopolized, California gas...

Clark

"Hay Bales and Asphalt"
a video featuring vintage footage
of motor racing from 1957 to 1961.
Images and description at
http://www.dnf.com

My 1953 Devin-Porsche Restoration project
http://www.dnf.com/devin-porsche.html