Re: David Hinton at The Glen

To: Jeff Warner <Jeff_Warner@ssa-sa.sel.sony.com>
Subject: Re: David Hinton at The Glen
From: Paul <support@5speeds.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 14:10:38 -0400
At 11:16 AM 6/12/00 -0500, Jeff wrote:

>I have a few quick questions regarding the JT5 transmission you sell.
>
>1) I have to modify my original MK2 3.8L Bell Housing which originally had a
>Moss 4 speed with Overdrive to accept the All Synchromesh Jaguar transmission.
>
>If I do that modification will it preclude using the same bell housing for
>your transmission?

The non synchro box bellhousings sometimes have a 4.74" pilot bore for the
bearing retainer of the 4 speed.  The Synchro Moss box requires no bore
Since the bellhousing acts as a bearing retainer. So if you have just a
front seal the bell with work with a synchro 4 speed.

If you race with the Jag box use GM Synchromesh fluid in the box.  Quaiff
makes Steel Synchro rings for these boxes if your going to build it up.

>2) Do you have any experience with Mk2 racing and if so do you have an idea
>of the gear ratios you would use in your JT5?

There are about 6 guys running JT5's on the race circuit in MK II's. They
work great. They have similar ratios to the Jag sychnro 4 speed and shift
really nice. You can get them with either a .80 or ,90 overdrive. Your
Bellhousing can me modified to fit a JT5 or you can purchase a new one.

You can download the data sheet on our Jag page in Adobe PDF format.

>Any preference from your experience regarding the purchase of your JT5
>transmission from either Terry's or Classic Jaguar?

We prefer race transmissions be purchased directly from us so we can
support you better.

>4) Do you know of any other Jaguar Race motor shop other than Terry's which
>you could recommend over him?
>I consistently get his name as the best for Jaguar race engine building.

I really like Bill's engines. Right now he seems to be doing alot of new
development work. I do see more and more of his engines at the track, so
that must tell you something.

Thanks,
Paul Cangialosi
www.5speeds.com "Live ! - ShopCam" www.5speeds.com/guestbook2/
Creators of the JT5 5 Speed and New Rally Clutchless Model RC!