Re: Genuine car?

To: "Mark Roper" <markwroper@compuserve.com>, <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Genuine car?
From: "Charles Christ" <cfchrist@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 16:32:45 -0000
ok i guess i'll chime in here.  the guide lines for who has rights to what
as set forth by the aaca  are a bit simple but hard to swallow if you are on
the wrong end of the ownership of which piece.   it was determined that the
chassis or main unibody section(if it were of a uinbody construction)
determined who had the original car.  remember in race cars , frequently
rules changed that allowed modifications to coach work from 1 year to
another, also depending upon who ran what sanctioning body where /when
changes were made in a specific year back and forth.  also the same goes for
the engine and various combinations of drive lines.  but it was determined
that the constant was the chassis.  many cars have competed for more years
than most owners would like to admit apearing in new colors and numbers each
year.  but under all that "new" was still the same chassis.  now in the case
of a restoration of a car be it famous or just a personal challenge (as was
my father's h-mod. sports racer) if you need to completly reconstruct the
car you must start with the remains of "the"original car and prove so!
photo documentation as found, period photos as run hopefully the car as
found still shows vestiges of it's prior glory days(sponsor decals, numbers,
body color, unique construction elements etc.).  serial numbers are helpfull
but many early cars are void of this type of identification.  log books are
very helpfull too but only so far back.  if you have a very early car it can
become quite a detective job to find proof if a continum of ownership fails.
the aaca has seen cars fron the teens and twenties certified after much red
tape has been gone through.
the mentioned bently story is a very real problem.  there are a couple of
miller race cars out there which deserve some attention historically that
ran indy.  but the old problem of who owned the original chassis and who
owned a piece or two of the engine and coach work.  this has resulted in 2
pristine restorations of the same car.  both cars are beautiful!  but 1 is
real and 1 is fabricated!
along those same lines , my h-mod car is based upon a copy of an elva mk6
chassis.  it is a period copy my father built, it is also chassis #1 of 2.
i do not show my car as an elva, but it is registered with the elva registry
as a period copy(at the elva registry's request).  we believe that chassis#2
has surfaced as a complete mk6 believed to be real.  it is not!  it may be
clothed in an elva skin, and utilise elva components.  but it is not an
elva.  it is also believed that the present owner is unaware of his
purchasing a car that is not what it was sold as.    the problem of who owns
what and is it real or manufactured is a very real problem.  i personally
choose to represent my cars as what they actually are.   and if there are
owners of misrepresented cars out there i feel for them.  it is a position i
would rather avoid at all cost myself.

chuck
flack shields up for this one!