What is this anyway?

To: "vintage-race@autox.team.net" <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: What is this anyway?
From: Michael Gee <Michael_Gee@bc.sympatico.ca>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 20:14:21 -0700
Listers,
I'm getting some valuable feedback from current vintage drivers.  Here's
an excellent response that should get some debate.
Cheers,
Mike

Michael, I have my own theories:
Drivers:
1. Too many drivers who don't agree that vintage racing is for fun. They

think it is serious racing and try to win at all costs.
2. They do not get adequate training before going on track.
3. They get too little track time to be competent. Many do only a couple

of events every year.
4. They take silly chances trying to pass or will actively block faster
drivers.
5. They are ignorant of and/or ignore flags.
6. Speed is more important in car prep than safety.
7. They cheat because "everybody else does it."
8. They do not comprehend that racing is dangerous.
And officials are not blameless:
1. Passing cars in tech that have no business on the track.  I remmeber
a TR that broke in half from a rusted frame at an event a few years ago,

injuring the driver.
2. Not disciplining drivers for blatantly ignoring flags - esp. passing
under yellow.
3. Ignoring contact incidents.
4. Not requiring adequate driver qualifications or training.
5. Not requiring identification of rookie drivers.
6. Tolerating stupid behavior.