Re: What is this anyway?

To: "Vintage list" <vintage-race@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: What is this anyway?
From: "Carl McLelland" <carlmcle@saturnnet.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 23:20:35 -0700
There is no replacement for experience, but experience. And the only way to
get experience is by doing something. For so many years that I was flight
instructing, whenever a student would start feeling he wasn't "catching on",
and had not solo'ed by his 8'th or 10'th hour, I had only to show him MY
logbook, and show him that I didn't solo until my 18'th hour. Then the
student could say "he's flown everything from Cessna 150's to B52's.....
maybe I CAN DO IT!".

All the Moss', Fangio's and Donahue's have already been discovered. Nobody
is scouting your vintage event to hire you for their formula one team, you
don't win anything for being first, and the prize money is the same
regardless of your finishing position.

The best award's presentation for a good race is the guy looking back at you
from the mirror. If you can look at that guy in the mirror and say, with
honesty, that you ran your best race, that you were safe, that you let the
(obviously) faster guy by and challenged the guy you were matched with, then
you are a winner! It doesn't mean shit what the standings are.... the
reality of vintage racing is that we are racing ourselves. If every lap time
is better than the previous time, then you are champion!

If that last paragraph is you, then I would be honored to share a track with
you; any time, any place, for we will BOTH be champions!