where do ya start with tires?

To: "Vintage Racing" <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: where do ya start with tires?
From: "Lyle Rundhaug" <lrichard@ticon.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 21:34:06 -0500
I'm preparing to take the Cortina GT out for the first time this weekend,
and I'm at a sort of roadblock. I have no idea where to begin with tire
pressures and what temps to look for?
On our FF we use anywhere from 12 to 16 lbs. for starters ... but I fear
this would be far too low for the Cortina. I've been reading a little on
tires ... but mostly on construction and how they behave on the pavement ...
that sort of stuff. Can't seem to find a clue as to where to begin the
constant search for the best tire response.
We're using Yoko 008rs - 205-60-13. Looks like temps will be in the 80's for
the event.  Anybody got a suggestion as to where we could start?
Also , does anyone have a suggestion as to a good publication on tires that
won't make your eyes slam shut for hours at a time?
Thanks
Lyle R. Rundhaug
68 Cortina GT