Re: where do ya start with tires?

To: Lyle Rundhaug <lrichard@ticon.net>,
Subject: Re: where do ya start with tires?
From: Royce Miller <royce_miller@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 12:09:10 -0700 (PDT)
Howdy Lyle,

I am assuming you are taking the car out on a track!?
If so then I drive a '66 Lotus Cortina Mk1 and may be
able to give you some ideas.  Although I have never
run Yokohamas, I have run several different tire
combinations with the same suspension setup and
determined that every tire, every track, and every
weather condition requires different tire pressures,
what a surprise.  Radial tires need more pressure.
All pressures referenced are when the tires are cool,
before a track session.  I have run Toyo RA1s with as
much as 34 lbs front and 31 lbs rear and BFGoodrich
R1s, on the same day, that worked well at 31 lbs front
and 29 rear, sound familiar Myles.  If your car is
setup relatively stock I would be surprised if you
would every want as much air in the rear, I usually
set the front with 2 to 4 lbs more in the front.
Expect to see the pressures increase 4 to 6 lbs after
being a track session.

Don't know of any publications, I've always just ask
the others going faster than me what they do!

Hope this helps!  Let me know if you need any
clarifications!

Royce Miller
Orangevale, CA
'66 Lotus Cortina #111