Re: Vintage Racing -- Dream Worlds!!

To: "AH102" <ah102@home.com>
Subject: Re: Vintage Racing -- Dream Worlds!!
From: C Sherriff <Clives_page@COMPUSERVE.COM>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 17:11:29 -0500
Message text written by "AH102"
>Clive:   I never raced in the '50s or even the '80s but I guess I now live
in that "dream world".  I have always dreamed of racing, but only when I
got
involved in Vintage Racing did that dream come true.  I race what I
consider
a pure period prepared car (except for some modern safety items) in the
spirit of vintage racing, and I have never failed scrutineering.  Indeed,
most of the folks I race with in VSCCA, VARAC, SVRA, and VSCDA have proper,
period prepared cars as well.  It is still a great social sport, and by
God....Its FUN!

There are some who make a buck while providing sanctioning, service, and
even racetracks and racecars for those of us who live in dreamland.  I for
one do not begrudge them for making a living feeding my passion.<

Partly you are making my point - I raced with sleeves rolled up and
an open knecked shirt - Not the layers of lomex and fireproof
underwear I need for Coys historic meeting now!  ( and the
radio transmitters etc....)

I dont want to pose about in the latest 2000 Dollar fire suit and 1500
Dollar helmet - heavens knows what options there are in Nomex
underwear! <G>

And another point - look at the imaculate cars that race now - not
a ripple in the bodywork - not a fly on the windscreen - then look
at a period photo of the car -  and not just any old small time
effort - Start with the Mercedes Silver arrorw if you want badly
fitting and rippled panels.

Regards for now

Clive