Re: Scatter Shields for Alpines ...now flywheels or gear box?

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net, carlynneracing@home.com
Subject: Re: Scatter Shields for Alpines ...now flywheels or gear box?
From: "Jeff Warner" <Jeff_Warner@ssa-sa.sel.sony.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 10:06:42 -0600
Hi,

I bought a scatter shield type transmission blanket that I believe was
originally used on racing automatic transmissions.  It is a 60" long by 14"
wide blanket with straps and tabs to bolt down.  I was planning to use it on a
original 35 year old Jaguar all synchro 4 speed manual transmission... wrapping
it around the GEAR BOX.

Your story indicates it is the FLYWHEEL/BELL HOUSING I should worry about.

In an attempt to collect a form of "data" as I am a complete novice to racing:
WHICH IS MORE OF THE THREAT BASED ON YOUR OWN EXPERIENCE OR KNOWLEDGE....  THE
FLYWHEEL OR THE GEAR BOX?

In other words, are there more stories of flywheels turning into frisbees, or
gear boxes turning into shrapnel?

Thanks,
Jeff Warner
San Antonio, Texas
Jaguar Mk2s
CVAR

>>> "Carl McLelland" <carlynneracing@home.com> 3/28/01 2:16:41 AM >>>
To all "Alpiner's", and all vintage racers, regardless of what you
race!!

Last Sunday I was entering turn 10 at Sears Point, 2nd lap of practice
so I wasn't really up to speed yet, when I had a potentially life
threatening event occur. I had backed off momentarily to set the car
for the corner and when I came back on the power had the
flywheel/crankshaft bolts shear. I was turning 6000rpm in fourth at
the time..... a couple laps later and I would have been somewhere
between 6000 and 7000.

The engine went "instantly" to 9000rpm before I could (1) get my foot
off the "enthusiasm" and (2) shut off the fuel pump and ignition.
Somewhere between 6000 and 9000 the flywheel came off the crank flange
and started trying to grind itself out of the bell housing!
Fortunately for me, it wasn't successful. What am I leading up to?

1. I made a steel scatter shield some time back, which may have saved
me had the flywheel come through the bell housing (or had the flywheel
exploded). If you haven't done something to protect yourself, DO IT!

2. For you Alpiners, a friend of mine, having seen the photo's, is
dedicating himself to making some carbon fibre scatter shields that
will be bonded to the aluminum bell housing. This should add 3-4
pounds to the weight of the car, which is negligible. He presently has
10 bell housings, so they would be a manditory exchange (or I'm sure
he could make a scatter shield for your  bell housing if you sent it
to him). Anyone who is interested in more detail of what happened, or
wants to see the photo's, (or just wants to tell me what a supurb
driver I am), please respond off-net and I'll forward the photo's.

I don't have a price for the carbon fibre bell housings yet, but you
can rest assured ones going to be installed on my car, in addition to
the steel one!!
Carl McLelland
    CSRG #247 series 1 Sunbeam Alpine
    CarLynne Racing LLC