Re: Broken Stub Axle (Spindle) on Austin-Healey 3000

To: gblack@hextrans.com, vintage-race@autox.team.net, thebot@listbot.com
Subject: Re: Broken Stub Axle (Spindle) on Austin-Healey 3000
From: RodsINTOMG@aol.com
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 21:21:15 EDT
Gary,

I too lost a wheel at Sears Point last weekend and would like to share the
experience with anyone who is racing on knock-off hubs.  My 1964 MGB has the
early fine threaded knock-off hubs and caps.  I am using minilight knock-off
wheels, 14" with Yokohama racing tires, I forget the number, but they are
sticky.

I was turning into turn three at Sears Point during practice on Friday when
the knock-off came off, likewise the right front wheel.  When the car came to
rest, the hub and wheel (which went all the way down the hill to the
dragstrip) did not look damaged.  The cap however had about half the threads
torn out of it.  I'm sure the cap was tight and that the side stress of the
turn-in pulled the threads out.

I have been racing on this set up for 4 1/2 seasons, 5 race weekends to a
season with no sign of failure.  I am going to replace all the hubs on this
car with the later MGB coarse threads.  I also noticed after comparing the
coarse and fine hubs that the coarse is about 3/8" longer that the fine hub
which will allow more threads to be engaged.  I hope this experience will
help others.

Rod Schweiger
1964 MGB #119