Re: Broken Stub Axle (Spindle) on Austin-Healey 3000

To: gblack@hextrans.com, vintage-race@autox.team.net, thebot@listbot.com
Subject: Re: Broken Stub Axle (Spindle) on Austin-Healey 3000
From: Fred Crowley <oldwolf@airmail.net>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 21:47:26 -0500
I've seen this before. Not common - but it can happen. I check the hubs on my
3000 after every event (dye penetrant). Denis Welch in the UK has some
stronger front hubs that I would seriously look into. It's a straight
replacement for the stock hubs - better metal and a better radius where the
stub meets the upright. Worth the money.

Regards  Fred

"Gary Black (Hexagon Transportation Consultants)" wrote:

> Listers,
>
> Just returned from the CSRG race at Sears Point. Thought some might be
> interested to learn that I broke a front stub axle. Wheel fell off on the
> cool-down lap. No damage to driver but some body damage from the wheel
> passing by. The axle was crack-checked 8 years ago. Not a  weakness on big
> Healeys that I was aware of. Will crack-check the axles on a more regular
> basis hereafter.
>
> Gary K. Black
> HEXAGON TRANSPORTATION CONSULTANTS, INC.
> 40 S. Market Street, Suite 600
> San Jose, CA 95113
> Tel: 408-971-6100
> Fax: 408-971-6102
> www.hextrans.com

[demime 0.97c removed an attachment of type text/x-vcard which had a name of
oldwolf.vcf]