Re: Broken Stub Axle (Spindle) on Austin-Healey 3000

To: djshea11@juno.com
Subject: Re: Broken Stub Axle (Spindle) on Austin-Healey 3000
From: "Mark Palmer" <mgvrmark@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 02:22:32 -0000
Dennis,

You bring up a good point.  The typical 1950's or even '60's production car
was not designed with today's tires in mind.  Even my relatively skinny
L-series Dunlops undoubtedly have more grip than was available in the
1950's.  Wider, more modern, radial tires place even greater loads on the
suspension.  Plus -- few people appreciate this -- "stronger" wheels can
increase suspension loads.  A cast alloy wheel (e.g. Minilite or replica) is
far stiffer than the original steel disk, or wire wheels -- and that added
stiffness transmits higher shock loads to the suspension bits.  The
combination of wide sticky tires plus strong, stiff wheels is a double
whammy to the suspension.  (I'm not against stronger wheels, I'm just
pointing out that they increase susepnsion loads).

Add to that, possibly: stiffer springs, stiffer shocks, a larger anti-roll
bar, some negative camber, Nylatron suspension bushings ... all of those
things increase suspension loads.  There is far less compliance in the
system than the original set-up.  As a result the 40-year-old stock, factory
spindles & king pins are now taking quite a beating.  Sure, the original
parts were probably over-designed at the time.  But we are now placing much
greater loads on them, and using up that original extra margin of
over-design.

Mark Palmer