Re: Broken Stub Axle (Spindle) on Austin-Healey 3000

To: donqueen@Inreach.com
Subject: Re: Broken Stub Axle (Spindle) on Austin-Healey 3000
From: David Littlefield <dmeadow@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 09:12:48 -0500
On Wed, 30 May 2001 15:47:18 -0700 "Don Queen" <donqueen@Inreach.com>
writes:
> Are you actually suggesting that EVERY car racing in Vintage be
> required to
> go through a suspension disassembly and inspection on an annual
> basis ?

Of course not every car needs it, but if there is a certain car with a
problem, then it would be dangerous to ignore it.  Hence, the VMC
database.  Of particular note, for example, are the front stub axles on
Spridgets.  I know a fella (Roger Williams) that has literally
magnafluxed piles of stub axles to find a good pair that wasn't already
cracked just from street use (skinny tires and steel or wire wheels).  He
suggests magnafluxing after every couple of races, although in
Spec-Sprite (which uses radial street tires), others have told me that
once a year is enough.  I had a couple of pairs magnafluxed for my car
and found one that was cracked.  Next season I'm buying the competition
steel forged stub axles that are available.  If I were running race tires
I wouldn't have even bothered with the stock axles.

David Littlefield
'62 MGA MkII
'51 MGTD
'74 MG Midget "Spec-Sprite" vintage racer
'88 Jaguar XJ-S

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!