Re: Pedigrees, Exclusivity and Vintage Racing "so what"

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Pedigrees, Exclusivity and Vintage Racing "so what"
From: John.Desantis@inficon.com
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 10:06:39 -0400
     I have some observations and  1 question regarding the endlessly
nauseating question of what vintage is, should be, could be, might be, etc,
etc?

     What is it that brings people from all walks of life into Vintage
racing when we all could race elsewhere
for a lot less money.  SCCA entry fees are very low and you can race just
about anything with minimal
preparation.  You should probably get on the track for a few thousand
dollars in slow room stock.  Rules are
most often enforced and it is truly about wining.

     My thoughts are we like the no contact rules of vintage that you can't
get in any other kind of racing.
This gives use the security to go out and have fun with less risk of damage
to our cars and body's.  Also with
less emphasis on winning and no real reason to win (no prize money or
career building opportunities) the
guy or gal parked next to ya in the pits can be a lot friendlier and is
often willing to share advice and parts.
Yes I suspect this happens in other venues but I hear some nasty stories of
cut throat competition.  Don't
forget the great parties and all the heady nostalgia and the opportunity to
pretend we are 18 again,
you just cant beat a Vintage event.

     What's my question you ask?  Why are we all so concerned about the
other crap, Pedigrees, Exclusivity
cheating, vintage correctness?

     I am only here for the good times.