Re: Brake materials

To: John Hardy <hardwire@electract.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Brake materials
From: Phil Trenholme <dim1@home.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 13:36:35 -0700
John,

Thanks for posting this.

I had Ferodo (asbestos) shoes on my 63 Porsche 356 vintage race car. The
front shoes lasted about for about 25 races (approx. 2000 miles). The
steel liners in the aluminum drums had several burnt and heat cracked
areas. I had a new set of Ferodos but based on reports from owners of
similar cars I had the shoes relined (riveted, not bonded) with
carbon-fiber material and the drums turned slightly (0.010).

It seems your comments indicate that I should continue to use asbestos
lining and that I may get even more heat cracking from the carbon-fiber
lining thereby "ruining ... precious original components."

Phil