Re: Castrol "R" alternative

To: "Charles Christ" <cfchrist@earthlink.net>, "Alan"
Subject: Re: Castrol "R" alternative
From: "Carl McLelland" <carlynneracing@charter.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 23:35:57 -0800
Alan,
I just read with interest what Charles wrote. 30 years ago I raced 2 stroke
motorcycles for a couple years. My "pit partner", teacher, racing partner
and overall very good friend was (retired) sportscar racer Bob OKer, his
wife Ila and son Bill. Bob raced a Rickman with a 100cc Hodaka engine and I
raced a 100cc Hodaka "Super Rat". When Bob was racing professionally he was
also a distributor for "STEEN C", which back then was called a "chemical
lubricant" (before the Yuppy term of "synthetic oil"). Now after 30+ years
my math may be off so don't quote me, but I seem to remember that Hodaka
recommended mixing the fuel/oil at a 25:1 ratio. We used STEEN C and mixed
it at 50:1. We also used STEEN C in the gearbox, replacing the normal gear
oil. In several years of racing, we never had a piston seizure, 'holed'
piston or other engine failure. Considering the "torture" those little
engines put up with, it was pretty impressive stuff!!! Another "acid test":
Bob, about 10 miles into a 190 mile desert race (the "Checkers Chase" of
1970), knocked a hole in the bottom of the transmision case on his Rickman.
All the oil drained out of the box. Bob continued another 180 miles to
finish without any gearbox problems!!!

Like Chuck said, your not working with a 2 stroke engine, but I with the
experience we had with using it in the motorcycle gearbox's, I would
recommend it.

I don't know if STEEN C is still available or not. Bill is on this list and
possibly can provide that answer. In the meantime I can assuredly tell
you......... STEEN is some good stuff!

    Carl