Castrol R and an alternative

To: "Vintage Race List" <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Castrol R and an alternative
From: "Vaughn Rockney" <vintagegarage@erols.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2002 07:37:14 -0500
Apologies to the list.  I sent this out yesterday and never saw it come
back.  I think the list was busted yesterday, so I'm resending it with some
additions... Vaughn

Alan,
  Jim Hill is right.  Moss Motors added Castrol R to their catalog a couple
of
years ago.  I tried to get Castrol UK to sell it to me and had a big
go-round at Castrol USA.  I was told I couldn't buy it from the UK and ship
it here, etc. and Castrol US wouldn't order it for me.  Then 8 weeks later
it shows
up in the Moss Catalog.

  I also use Blendzall castor.  I've found that it mixes fine with Castrol
R, either R30 or R40.

  Check out the Blendzall web site at:

http://www.blendzall.com

   Go to their product page and they have photos and specs on all their
products.  They are located in Ohio, are very reliable and can ship you a
bottle or a case.

  They have 35 and 45 grade.  I've used Blendzall for many years, and find
it to be a high quality.  In my opinion, the 35 is the best substitute for
R30 and the 45 is the best substitute for R40.  It may even be (dare I say
it?) superior to Castrol with no downside.  I've never seen either Castrol R
or Blendzall
castor turn to jelly.  Other than the smell, the main thing you notice is
the oil pressure is lower
at startup and gets higher as the oil warms up, opposite to observation with
a mineral or
synthetic oil.  You can leave either of them in the sump as long as you
would a mineral oil,
and change oil no more frequently than you would with mineral oil.  I think
some of the legends
of castor that get passed along may have no science supporting them.  I
recommend
Blendzall.

Vaughn