Re: Racing Tires

To: "Tony Drews" <tony@tonydrews.com>, <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Racing Tires
From: "Carter Hendricks" <carter@i1.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 23:06:07 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: "Tony Drews" <tony@tonydrews.com>
To: <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Sent: 10 April, 2002 9:34 PM

> In the early 1960's?  I always thought that radial tires were a more
recent
> advancement in tire construction.  I am very interested in when they
> entered routine use.

Jan Norbye's history of Michelin tires says
the radial went into production in June, 1949.
Early tires were sold to Citroen but Norbye
says the 1st standard fitment was the Lancia
Aurelia, in 1950.  In '52 Alfa had standardized
the Michelin radial for the 1900 series. Pirelli
introduced the Cinturato radial in 1951.

                                                --Carter