Re: 2 Winter Prep questions

To: Myles Winbigler <mwinbigler@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: 2 Winter Prep questions
From: Larry Dent <lwdent@fwi.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2002 10:27:35 -0500
Since I spent many seasons in successfully campaigning a Super 7, I feel
somewhat qualified to make several comments .  Mine was a first
ideration Super 7, I guess now referred to as a Mark 1, made in 1962, so
it was early.

If your car has a lot of competition time I would strongly recommend
removing the riveted on body work from the frame.  when we did that to
my 7 after 4 years of hard national racing the frame fell into three
pieces.  It was cracked through up in the firewall area and in the areas
just beheld the driver where the tubes come down and join to make it
easy to get in and out.  All three breaks were not detectable until the
skin was removed.

Upon repair we then put the body back on both with rivets and with a 3 m
Epoxy glue designed for structural usage.  At the time we used
Scotch-Weld DP 810 but there may be better adhesives for the job today.
Three M in Minneapolis has an 800 info line.

This adhesive is two part and comes in two tubes that fit into a gun
that dispenses through a mixing tube so the line of adhesive lays out
pre mixed and in exactly the amount you need.  Makes the 7 frame into a
little monococque sort of thing and adds a loot of rigidity.  It's worth
the extra effort, believe me.

Hope you have solved the axle problem.  If you are using the originals
and not breaking them you ain't going fast enough.

Larry Dent