Re: "phat" bugeyes, etc

To: "Vintage Race List" <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: "phat" bugeyes, etc
From: "Thom Kuby" <thomkuby@iwvisp.com>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 06:35:17 -0800
All,
As a VARA member/racer out here on the left side of things,
I must echo Brians' comments about VARA reining in these (and other)
"not quite period" race cars...VARA is now getting pretty serious about
getting eligibility & spec issues in line with other (VMC) race clubs.
Each of the individual class groups (CP, EP, FP, AS, BP, FV, FF etc) have
been self-policing in this regard - depending on which class you're talking
about -  for at least three seasons.

My own group - CP - has just initiated a push to get the Porsche 911s and
(recently admitted) early Datsun 240Z cars more on "an even keel".
In our case, we have a bunch of "big motor" 911s...These guys have a choice:
they have either a year to switch out their "big motors" for ones that
actually came in the cars, or continue running as is, but as a
"modified"...usually in the same group."modifieds" won't get points.
We as a class are still grappling with other parity issues between the Zs
and the 911s, but for the most part we're on the right course.
The good news is that all the CP guys are both  involved & realize that
these changes are for the better.  I'm just grateful I had the foresight to
maintain "period specs" (much as a possible) when I built my own (all steel
lightweight)2.0 liter 911 - I damn near didn't...in Porsches, the big motor
route is altogether too tempting (and pretty easy)to do.

I don't think VARA will ever aspire to be a super-strict,
"period-correct-cars must-have-race-history-provenance" sort of club, at
least I hope not: I personally wouldn't want VARA to operate on that
level...too much of a headache for me.  As things stand now, I can run my
2.0liter 911 just about anywhere in the west, on just about any weekend
 with a number of different clubs) and have fun...now if I can only afford
it. :)
With all That Said, VARA is a damn good club, and a good place to put my
hard-earned racing dollars.
The parity issues could be ( and have been ) a lot worse around
here...things are getting better.
Cheers
Thom Kuby
#54 CP Porsche 911

Brian writes:
Since VARA's "run whatcha brung" reputation has been mentioned here, it
should be noted that the club seems to be making progress in reining in
never-was cars such as 1275 Bugeyes.  Now those folks can either (a)
jump to HSR/West with its liberal eligibility rules, running with such
"vintage" cars as fiberglass widebody tube-frame 914/6s and Lotus
Elises, or (b) get upclassed in VARA to run with the big boys, where
they no longer win. (If that's not enough disincentive, there aren't too
many guys out there who want to brake a Bugeye hard into a tight corner
with a Mustang riding their bumper.)

Brian Mertz
'63 A-R Giulia Spider Veloce #82 VARA
'57 A-H 100-Six #88 VSCDA