Re: Road America Tech / Safety "Top Five" suggestions

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Road America Tech / Safety "Top Five" suggestions
From: Nicholas Froome <listreader@pvision.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 15:45:46 +0100
>We ran Road America this weekend. I just wanted to say thanks to the SVRA
>folks who ran tech, and their overall attitude towards violations.
>
>We were asked to make some changes. The inspectors were absolutely right.,
>and we will make those changes. However, the violations were not
>life-threatening, so they just asked that the changes be made before the
>next event. That was really fair, and it was considerate as well, since
>making changes at a track is sometimes pretty stressful.

Here in the UK the scrutineering process is safety-oriented only; the
organising club rules on eligibility, so the pre-race check revolves around
safety items

In my experience the scrutineers are very considerate and have your best
interests at heart. It's interesting to see how different scrutineers look at
different things, though, and to hear their recommendations

I'd be interested to hear everyone's "Top Five" safety suggestions, as voiced
by them or by scrutineers, so we can all make our cars safer

Mine would be:

1 - the rollcage in the driver area should all be covered in foam, particularly
the parts directly in front of, behind and to the side of the driver's head

2 - the rollcage should include a bar to prevent any likelyhood of the seat
backrest bending and being forced back under the hoop over the driver's head in
the event of a big impact

3 - throttle return springs attached to the carb arms, not to the linkage which
is linked to the carb arms

4 - crotch straps on harnesses

5 - triple-layer fire suits, not the cheap single-layer ones

Nick Froome
http://www.bolide.co.uk