RE: Fords' new diesel

To: "Mordy Dunst/Gasket Works USA, LLC" <gasket.works@gte.net>
Subject: RE: Fords' new diesel
From: "Thom Kuby" <thomkuby@iwvisp.com>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 05:32:03 -0800
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 21:55:05 -0700
From: "Mordy Dunst/Gasket Works USA, LLC" <gasket.works@gte.net>
Subject: Ford 6.0l diesel

Anyone have comments one way or the other about this new motor?

Hi, Mordy,
As an owner of a 7.3l w/4sp automatic & 3.73 ltd slip (2001 F350 Crewcab
2wd), I'm looking at this a lot like you'd look at new software, meaning;
"don't buy version 1.0 of anything".

But for the new engine/trans combo, it's the exact same truck I have...

That said, I've heard nothing but good about this new package - especially
the five speed auto.  However, if you are a stick guy, the 7.3l hooked up to
the six speed manual trans should do just fine.  The 6.0l makes it's power
in a higher range.  This means worse gas mileage under load (towing).
Unloaded, the 6.0l gets better mileage, runs quieter, and is more powerful
than the 7.3l.  So, right now, it's sort of a wash, since you can get either
engine.  How long both engines will be available is anyones' guess.  I guess
it's a matter of how you plan to use your truck.  My suggestion is that you
hook up to any one of these ford truck forums on the 'net and keep an ear to
the ground, regarding any persistent issues with the new motor or auto.
trans.  Some of those guys are real serious about this and there's good info
there.  ( I'll provide links under sep cover since I can't find them right
now...)

I just love my truck. The biggest issue I have with my rig is the fact I
think it needs more gears, hence my interest in the new five speed auto.
This wouldn't be an issue driving a manual (with either engine).  An
alternative (to the gearing question) I'm considering is installing a Gear
Vendors over/under drive in my current truck and simply keeping it til the
cows come home.

All this is just an opinion, Mordy, you know how it is! Anyway, I'll talk to
you and Hibbard next week.  I'm working some concepts now.  Enjoy Monterey.
Cheers
tmk