Re: 1275cc/"phat" bugeyes/period correct, etc

To: "christopher h. kang, MD" <chkangmd@earthlink.net>,
Subject: Re: 1275cc/"phat" bugeyes/period correct, etc
From: Doug Meis <s800racer@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 10:29:58 -0500
   As this thread seems to have mostly run it's course, I have a few
observations (infused and biased by my personal opinions) on what has been
said.
   1. Bugeye Sprites are not the only cars with correct engine issues in
vintage racing.
   Almost every marque you can think of has a model that is being vintage
raced that can be fitted with the "wrong" engine.  The issue of fitting the
correct engine is one that must be considered by racers and event organizers
over a broad spectrum of cars and classes.  although the discussion has
remained within the confines of production cars, the same problem also
exists with sports racers and formula cars.

   2.  A lot of people think that most everyone in the paddock is cheating.
   The truth is that if you went over every car with a copy of the SCCA
GCR's and production car specifications in hand, you would be lucky to find
a single car that matches the rules to the letter (as an example, how many
original passenger seats have you seen in vintage production cars?).
However, there is a BIG difference between not having all the right trim
pieces and not having the right motor.
   There were several posts from people in a better position to know who is
or isn't within the rules and how much "cheating" really goes on.  Posts
from technical directors and those involved in race organization said that
there is not as much cheating as people seem to think.  The great majority
of entries are cars with correct motors and correct configuration for their
group and class.  Cars that are not in correct configuration pose the
problem of acceptance and classing.

   3.  There is a general movement towards period correct presentation of
vintage race cars.
    In the various responses from people representing membership in vintage
race groups across the country, the message came through that the move
towards period correct cars is becoming universal.  So what is "period
correct"?  It can be as difficult to define as "vintage racing"!  But I
think it breaks down into two categories - performance and appearance.  The
performance side means having correct motor, transmission, carbs, brakes,
weight and suspension (i.e. original pick-up points).  There are a few other
issues, but these are the basics.  On the appearance side, it means correct
body material & configuration (no flares if it wasn't original) and proper
trim pieces.  While I don't think a stripped out interior is proper (no
interior panels or dashboard), I don't place as high a priority on the
interior.
   While a car that matches the SCCA regs to the letter is neat, I would be
very happy to see everyone cover the basic aspects of period correct as I
define it.  I think this is the best thing that can happen in vintage
racing.  For one thing, it levels the playing field for competitors.  You
don't have to "keep up with the Joneses" on new, expensive trick parts.  The
performance of the cars should be closer if they are prepared properly.
That makes for better racing and more fun for the racers.  It's also better
racing for spectators to watch at spectator events.  If the cars are not
period correct, vintage racing loses its identity.  I think that fewer
people will be drawn to vintage racing as racers or as spectators if an
F-production car is not really an F-production car or an MGA is not really
an MGA or a Sprite is not really a Sprite (Or Alfa, Porsche, Ford & Chevy to
keep the British car owners from thinking I am picking on them!).

   As I said at the beginning, just my humble opinions!
--
Doug Meis <s800racer@earthlink.net>