Re: Synthetic brake fluid

To: <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Synthetic brake fluid
From: "Eric J Russell" <ejrussell@mebtel.net>
Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2003 22:16:27 -0400
I'll give you my experience. I've used synthetic brake fluid in my MGA
& a '41 Chevy truck.

First you must start with a compete rebuild of all hydraulics. Yes,
synthetic is supposed to be compatible with other brake fluids but if
you try flushing out the old then adding the syn, there will likely
still be some of the regular left behind.

Synthetic has a reputation for holding small bubbles of air, so, add
the fluid slowly and bleed slowly & carefully. I did not have this
problem with my vehicles (but see previous paragraph...). Also, it is
alleged to provide a 'softer' pedal - perhaps related to the air
issues. I didn't notice this either.

Synthetic will not damage your seals but neither will it restore them
(see suggestion about complete rebuild).

IMO, the best use for synthetic brake fluids are in vehicles that see
intermittent use. Its hydrophobic properties prevent water from
accumulating while the vehicle sits unused. This does not mean water
cannot get into the system, thus it still needs fluid changes, just
not as frequent.

My final suggestion is to search harder for the Castrol brake fluid. I
know it out there - I just bought 2 quarts a few days ago. (I'm
rebuilding the hydraulics on an MGB.)

Eric
Mebane, NC