Re: Synthetic brake fluid

To: Eric J Russell <ejrussell@mebtel.net>
Subject: Re: Synthetic brake fluid
From: Larry Dent <lwdent@fwi.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2003 08:17:49 -0500
Synthetic can damage some OEM seals so you need to take care. If in
doubt, when rebuilding the system, soak a seal in the fluid you intend
to use for 24 hours and see if any swelling takes place.

I switched to synthetic in my 82 911 Porsche and the rear seals swelled
to the point that the brakes stayed on and ground up the pads and disk
in a few thousand miles.

Rebuilt everything with the above in mind and 10 years later all is ok.

If a little regular fluid is left in the line it does not hurt the
change, although it is best to blow everything out and get it all clean.
 I have even used synthetic as a "cap" on regular fluid in the master
cylinder to form a moisture barrier.  The synthetic floats on the
regular fluid and is moisture proof, this protecting the system from
absorbing fluid.

Cheers,

Larry Dent