Re: Coolant for Watkins Glen and Monterey

To: twobees@sprynet.com, MGVR@yahoogroups.com,
Subject: Re: Coolant for Watkins Glen and Monterey
From: MHKitchen@aol.com
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 11:50:30 EDT
To all:

The coolant issue is one close to my heart these days.  I am Track Chairman
for the upcoming Ferrari Club of America International Meet that will take
place at Laguna Seca following the Monterey Historics in August.  We're
expecting
up to 200 Ferraris on track for this event.   For the first time, we are
requiring track participants to change from glycol based coolants to water
(distilled water w/Water Wetter recommended). This has not been well-received
as you
might imagine.

As background, here is why we came to this decision on this subject, which
has raised some questions and concerns amoung participants.

1.  Glycol based coolants are slipperier than oil if spilled on the track,
and are much less visible for corner workers to see and for drivers to avoid.
2.  Clean up of a coolant spill takes much longer than oil and creates a
bigger safety hazard.
3.  Coolant spills are not uncommon at our track events (due to blown hoses,
radiators, loose caps, contact incidents, and boil-overs).
4.  With the anticipation of as many as 200 track entrants at this event, the
schedule is so tight we cannot afford any lengthy delays.
5.  Based on 1 & 2 above, ALL West Coast vintage race organizations (and
others) have banned the use of glycol-based coolants at their events.

Obviously, the above concerns are greater for older cars where the condition
and age of the cooling system components are more questionable, but are still
valid concerns even with newer cars (550 Maranello's for example, can often
blow coolant hoses).

Our rationale in coming to this decision was based on providing an overall
safer and more enjoyable venue for everyone, and hopefully avoiding potential
problems and negatively impacting everyone's track time.  This does come at a
price, however, and that is the trouble of changing your coolant.   The event
organizers must do this as well and are not looking forward to it either.

As someone who has both spun in spilled coolant, and accidentally spilled
coolant myself, I am a FIRM believer in eliminating this potential source for
trouble.  The trouble it takes to change it is GREATLY outweighed by the
trouble
it can cause on the track for everyone.  On the West Coast, we have all manner
of vintage exotic machinery running just fine on water with and without
lubricant additives.

I'm hearing lots of complaints and grumblings about this requirement, but
we're going to stick to our position on this.  My advice is anyone planning to
run on the track...drain your coolant and run water.  You and everyone else
will
be better off.

Regards,
Myles H. Kitchen