My PVGPA experience

To: Mark Palmer <mgvrmark@hotmail.com>, <vintage-race@autox.team.net>,
Subject: My PVGPA experience
From: Doug Meis <s800racer@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 14:24:30 -0400
    For many years I never thought of entering at Schenley park b/c my car
was well beyond VSCCA's 1959 cut-off.  A buddy told me that I should give it
a shot as they might allow a small, rare novelty to come & play.  Sure
enough, my entry for my 1967 Honda S800 (800cc) was accepted and I have run
at Schenley three times.  They put on a good show, make all the entrants
feel welcome and special, I thoroughly enjoyed it. They also made me run in
the under 2-liter group as opposed to the under 1-liter group.  A good
decision as I placed third among the Elva Couriers and such.  On my last
visit, they placed me in the "Sports racer" group and I again placed third
behind a pair of Lotus 11s.
    But I only got in b/c my car was small & rare.  In the first year that I
entered, they were refusing 1959 948cc Bugeyes.  So there is some truth to
the idea that they play "favorites" that way.
    The new event at PVGPA is NOT at the Schenley park street circuit but
rather at the Beaver Run race track.  It is not being run by the same folks
but rather by VRG.  The VRG people are working with the PVGP association as
a sort co-promotion (as I understand it).  The VRG people are good folks and
will not be rejecting cars on the basis of any snob factor that may have
played a part in the decision making of VSCCA.  If I were not on vacation
with the family that weekend, I would be there.  Chuck, I would not stay
away from Beaver Run based on your experience with the Schenley park event,
I would look at them as two very different events.  The Beaver Run event is
going to look a lot like most SVRA, VDCA or VSCDA events in terms of cars
and groups.
    Finally, the Schenley park course is not suitable for faster cars -
dangerous enough for smaller & slower cars.  They allow FJrs. but anything
faster than that would not be a good idea.
 --
Doug Meis <s800racer@earthlink.net>