[Vintage-race] Curious About Racecar Transportation

To: "Vintage Racing Digest" <vintage-race@autox.team.net>,
Subject: [Vintage-race] Curious About Racecar Transportation
From: "Norm" <twobees@sprynet.com>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 15:41:04 -0400
I just had a conversation with someone who is of the opinion that we vintage
racers aren't buying trailers to tow our own cars any longer.  He thinks
we're all so wealthy we have a shop transport our cars to races & then
provide trackside support.  Certainly there are many who do use those
services.

I've been attending vintage races & racing long enough to have seen a very
dramatic change from 1982 (my first vintage race) when there were 2
tractor-trailer rigs at Lime Rock's Fall Festival, to the last time I raced
at a big northeast event when I felt like I was 1 of 2 people who brought
their racecar on an open trailer.  I know it was more than that.  But,
that's how it seemed.

I realize a lot depends on the race organization, for example in the VSCCA
I'd estimate that 90% tow their cars in or on trailers, 5% drive them to
races & perhaps 5% have their cars brought by their shops in medium or
big-rigs.  But, what do you folks think?  What would you say is the
percentage of big-rigs to open & closed trailers at the majority of vintage
races?  Is it 30:70?

Thanks in advance for your observations and feedback.

Norm Sippel
'60 Alfa Spider
'59 Turner