2000-register

Centralising jets

To: 2000-register@autox.team.net
Subject: Centralising jets
From: clifford.pope@virgin.net
Date: Sat, 20 May 2000 08:39:29 -0700
I am having difficulty centralising the jet on a Stromburg carburettor.
I thought I knew this trick and have done it successfully for years, but
now suddenly I can't seem to get the jet into a position where the
piston falls with that satisfying 'clonk' anymore.
The book says release the jet carrier, ie slacken the big nut under the
bowl, lift the piston a few times, and retighten. Is this supposed to
let the jet carrier shift its position so that the needle does not touch
it? How can it 'centralise' as opposed to merely gently touch on one
side?

I have tried taking out the piston and gently prodding the jet ring
until it looks in the middle of the wider brass bit, but that produces a
total lock-up. I have found that by slackening the 4 cover securing
screws I can get it almost free, but it seems critically dependant on
the relative torque on each screw. It is possible to obtain a good free
position by having some screws tight and others barely biting, but this
surely cannot be the correct procedure.
Also it varies depending whether it is hot or cold.
I have checked the needle and it is not bent or worn.
How do other people achieve a free-falling dashpot piston?

Many thanks if you can help,
Cliff Pope