2000-register

Re: Short life of brake pads on my LFC

To: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>,
Subject: Re: Short life of brake pads on my LFC
From: "David Greed" <greed@wave.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 09:11:29 +1200
John

I quite agree with your comments.

With the car now becoming more of a commodity item, it is designed to
conform to the lowest denominator, ie. a person who gets in the car to go
from A to B, not someone who enjoys the finer points of motoring. Cars are
now designed more for the city rather than the country type roads that I am
used to, and I guess that is why I prefer my Triumphs.

I believe that wearable parts have also been tailored for city type driving,
and hence tyres are made softer for comfort rather than durability, as are
things like brakepads. When these components are really put to the test,
such as here in the Waikato where likes of us drive on country roads more
often (My wife and I both commute from a satellite town to the nearest
city - approx 30km each way), then they can't cut the mustard...

As well suffering higher wear on the brakepads, the LFC now wears out tyres
more and a lot of that is down to the choice of tyre. The recommended tyre
for that car is the Michelin MXL - but I can no longer get that. I used to
get great mileage from them, but the MXT-E that allegedly replaced them are
nowhere near as good - and I, like you, make sure that the geometry is
maintained correctly...

David Greed
1974 Stag Man O/D
1979 2500S Man O/D