2000-register

Re: Recent remarks on bulletins.

To: 2000-register@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Recent remarks on bulletins.
From: Asgeir Nesoen <asgeir.nesoen@hf.uio.no>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 10:27:04 +0200
Repost:

At 14:26 04.03.01 -0700, you wrote:
 >snipped info on the bulletins (great initiative, btw)<

 >Cheers, all. And I will go back to putting a rebuilt driveshaft into the
 >GT6, which will hopefully solve the big vibration problem of late. (!)

I have found out that the majority of triumph rear end vibration stems
from, and the GT6 is quite similar to the saloon series, at least mechanically:
1) Too negative camber combined with sloppy rear frame bushes
2) "Angled" drive shafts, wear, and the effect of wear, are greatly reduced
if the drive shafts transmit the force in a straight line from the diff to
the hub
3) Worn rear hubs (fitting new bearings can be quite  a chore, btw), but
this rarely causes grave vibration
4) Worn front diff nose. This part is crucial for good prop shaft balance
and diff oil control.

I would say that Standard Triumph was not "lucky" with the construction of
the rear end, it has a number of flaws, that is for certain...

The rear end subframe is like the Lucas PI system, if it is in perfect
order, it works nicely... If not, it doesn't work well at all...

---Asgeir---

///
///  2000-register@autox.team.net mailing list
///