2000-register

Re: paint

Subject: Re: paint
From: "Dave W" <dw_triumph@clear.net.nz>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 17:33:05 +1200
Hi Mike,
The Practical Classics magazine did an article a while back on painting a
car, they mentioned that if the car had been polished and the stuff hadn't
been cleaned off well enough the silicone in the polish would make the paint
go like moon craters!!
And the only way to fix it was to start again!

Dave W
Here's the bit they did:

THE SILICONE CURSE
The Presence of silicone is a major problem when painting a car. It's not
uncommon for silicone to be wiped away and then to reappear later. You'll
know - my goodness, you'll know - all about silicone contamination once you
start applying paint. The invisible silicone causes new paint to go into
fish-eye craters so deep that they expose the surface beneath. You can't
sand them away and you can't cover them up with more paint. All you can do
is wipe the silicone away with panel wipe and a clean cloth (one that has
been nowhere near polish), sand the paint away and start again. Not
something that's likely to put you in a good mood.